Friday, April 3, 2009

Critiquing Critiques

Spent six hours putting together this week's contact sheet. Got dick for feedback. It'd be ok with me if this was the first time this happened this semester, or even this month. But its not. I am trying my hand at a form of photography that doesn't come naturally to me, therefore criticism is important.

I've realized that there are far too many inflated egos in the photo lab. It is like everyone is treading on eggshells when it comes to critiquing work. And that may be fine for some people (those who wish to collect their kudos and go to dinner). This week's contact sheet was not particularly good. It did not have many, if any, complete images on it- the sky was clipped, the angles were awkward, and all of the images were gray. Not a single person mentioned any of these things. In fact not a single person mentioned much of anything at all.

I liken it to a game of pickup basket ball. If your playing with a guy who is new to the sport they tend to double dribble, travel, take shitty shots, or make horrible passes. However, most of the more experienced players on the court refrain from teaching them the right way to play because they are either too lazy, too egotistical (think that they are above playing with a newbie), or they fear the recipient's reaction will be too defensive. I get all of these vibes during a critique.

Personally, I'd rather be called out on every minor mistake I make. Its the only way I'll ever improve. I'm working towards the realization of an idea which, I'm not ashamed to admit, I am nowhere close to completing. I need all feedback I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment